These turmeric + ginger breakfast muffins are loaded with veg, fibre + so much good stuff! Gluten free, paleo and can be vegan too, our friends at Lifebox really do know how to get creative in the kitchen.
Lifebox supercharge monthly boxes with the latest and greatest wholesome health food goodies, helping you to create a pantry of everyday staples that assist your body’s natural processes.
This recipe makes 12 large muffins.
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin papers.
2. Whisk together ground almonds, arrowroot, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and salt in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, chia seeds, hemp seeds and flaxseed. Fold in grated carrots, courgette chopped apples, and raisins (and remaining tea).
3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs (whichever you are using), apple sauce, maple syrup, melted fat of choice, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated.
4. Using an ice cream scoop or dessert spoon, divide batter among 12 muffin cups. They will be almost full.
5. Bake for 25-27 minutes, until golden and done in the centre. This can be tested by inserting a skewer into the middle of one muffin. If it comes out clean they are done!
Delicious served warm smothered with almond butter or a spoon of coconut yogurt and raspberry jam!
You can always substitute any of the nuts / seeds / fruit for ones you really love or fancy. Chopped dried apricots or goji’s work well. Pistachios also make a lovely addition.
- 11/2 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup ground arrowroot
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated courgette
- 1 cup apple cut into very small cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins (soaked overnight) in 2x pyramid bags of Feisty Turmeric Guru brewed with enough water to cover the raisins well) –
add the raisins AND any remaining tea when required in the mix
- 3 eggs (or 3 x flax or chia eggs. To make a flax or chia egg simply combine 1 tbsp ground flax or chia to 3 tbsp water. Stir well and allow the mixture to set for around 10 minutes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted (you can use ghee or butter if you eat dairy)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar